Saturday, March 2, 2013

Now I am official

I arrived safely in Kenya tonight and I picked up my press pass as well as my official accreditation from the IEBC (Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission).

Logo of the IEBC

I am with the "Journalists for Human Rights Network." JOHURI I feel much better now that I have my passes in hand. The IEBC pass has my name slightly misspelled, but on the back it says "The bearer of this badge is authorized by IEBC to observe the 2013 general elections. I also have a press card from the Media Council of Kenya. MCK. That card has my name spelled correctly, and has a nice picture of me.


So my tentative plan is to meet tomorrow with colleagues to discuss what issues are most important at the intersetion of information technology and democratization. The tentative plan is that we wake up at 5:00 a.m to take my sister in law Nyambura to vote in downtown Nairobi, (at the OTC), then take a different sister in law to vote in Thika. We will then proceed into what used to be Central Province toward Muranga, and then Othaya where I have family. If all goes smoothly, we will traverse nearly due north through Nairobi, Kiambu, Muranga and Nyeri counties on election day.

Map of Kenya's 47 counties.

So once I wake up tomorrow, work will commence.I am feeling happy that this has all come together. Knock on wood . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment